CRSCR acts as an interface between Roma community and Government of India, enunciating Romani concerns and challenges with the ministries, departments and establishments concerned. CRSCR is a leading voice for Roma community in India and unwaveringly committed to developing long-term relationship and standing up for the causes of Roma community. Centre for Roma Studies and Cultural Relations (CRSCR), Non-Governmental, Non-Profitable and Non-Political organization, has been set up in the year 2018 with its headquarter at Pravasi Bhawan in New Delhi, India.
The cardinal objectives of the CRSCR are as follows:
- Unique and singular mandate as the first Indian centre for developing long-term relationship with Roma community, Romani institutions, civil society organizations and NGOs. The centre strives to build up a broad partnership across Europe and beyond for support of Roma community.
- To be the promoter of Indo-Romani connections on account of historical, cultural and linguistic links with India as well as Romani customs, values and ethos which are based on the hoary traditions of India.
- To Endeavour to carry out and facilitate research studies on different aspects of Roma community, furthermore encouraging cultural exchange and people to people engagement and to pervade awareness about Roma community in India and strengthen the bonds with them.
- Committed to the philosophy of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam (The world is one family), CRSCR is desirous of cooperating with different Roma organizations in activities to promote positive changes to the position and status of Roma community and to challenge stereotypical views against them.
CRSCR intends to undertake following activities:
- To expand cultural, academic and socio-economic engagement among the Roma
- To establish networking with national and international organizations, working on Roma issues and causes
- To cooperate with and foster a closer networking between and among the Roma academicians, scholars, writers, authors, poets and artists
- To lay intellectual foundation and develop scholarship in Romani study
- To conduct comprehensive studies encompassing ethnology, history, migratory routes, social order and culture including language, folklore and traditions
- To review the academic and scientific framework for discourse on the origin, identity, history, culture and migration of Roma from India
- To initiate exchange of Romani scholars and researchers
- To organize Conferences / Seminars and Cultural Events
- To carry out publication of research papers and books
- To explore ways and means to engage with the Roma youth and to understand their aspirations and potential
- To set up of Library and Documentation Centre